Senior Editor – Wren & Rook
Full-time, maternity cover
Who we are and what we do
Wren & Rook is the award-winning trade non-fiction imprint of Hachette Children’s Group. We launched in 2017 and have established ourselves as a market leader in children’s personal development, smart thinking and wellbeing. With two Number 1 bestsellers under our belt, we have ambitious plans for growth. We publish an impressive roster of authors and illustrators including Matthew Syed, Bryony Gordon, James Rhodes, Levison Wood, Malala Yousafzai, Neal Layton and Frann Preston-Gannon.
Hachette Children’s Group (HCG) is one of the largest children’s publishers in the UK, with an excellent track record of creating bestselling and award-winning books for children of all ages.
What you’ll be doing
This is an exciting opportunity for a Senior Editor (maternity cover) to join our talented, seven-strong team comprising editors, designers and the publishing director. You will project-manage your own titles, and support the publishing director on complex editorial projects involving well-known authors and brands. Part of your function will also be overseeing the editorial and bookfair schedules across our small but innovative list.
Who we’re looking for
The successful candidate will be an excellent communicator, both verbally and in writing, have superb organisational skills and the ability to deal with people across multiple teams with confidence and clarity. You will have extensive experience, ideally in children’s trade publishing.
The key tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Management of fast-paced colour and mono editorial projects
- Management of existing authors on the list
- Supporting the publishing director with ongoing brand relationships
- Overseeing schedules and status of colour and mono projects
- Management of Rights Guides for book fairs
- Liaising with Rights team on selling requirements
- Maintaining publishing programme
- Overseeing and helping to optimise metadata and other sales copy
- Mastery of written English
- Meticulous eye for detail
- High level project management
- Excellent organisational skills
- Excellent editorial skills
- Proactive team player
- Able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Commercial outlook
- Good advocate of the list and the company
What we offer
This role is based in our London office on Victoria Embankment. You will be part of an exciting team of non-fiction specialists, working in a dynamic and fast-paced environment. We offer 25 days holiday per annum, a pension scheme, season ticket loan and further benefits.
Hachette employs people on the basis of their abilities. We aim to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we want to reach, with a wide and representative range of age, faith, disability, race, gender, sexuality and socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds.
We also recognise the importance of a good work-life balance, and champion flexible working, including part-time and job shares for all our roles. Please just let us know in your application or at any stage throughout the process if this is something you want to explore.
If you are shortlisted and need us to make any adjustments to help you attend for interview, please let us know.
Salary: £32,000 – £34,000
To apply, click here
Closing date: 1st April 2020